Sunday, December 1, 2013

Creepy Crawlies

The kids have a hard time focusing on school here. The sun is just so welcoming and studying is no fun, but mostly the insects are a distraction.

 This little guy was hanging from our door frame one morning. How can you focus on math with him there? The kids found another stick bug on a hike one day.

 
 I've never seen a bright green beetle before. Pretty cool, even if it's in my house...
As it gets warmer we have tons and tons of beetles sneaking in every crack. All I can say is don't walk down the hall barefooted in the dark.

Now we get down to the nitty gritty...did you know that there are TONS of poisonous spiders here? Well only one species, the brown recluse or Rincon, but there are tons of those.
This isn't a Rincon, but it was big and nasty and on our wall so I killed it anyway. Some people say all the big brown spiders are brown recluses, some say only a few. I kill them all to be sure and check my blankets like 20 times every night. I will not miss the spiders when we leave...

 This is a Chilean Rose Tarantula. It's the same kind you see in pet shops in the states. They are big and hairy and creepy looking, but harmless. We have seen quite a few of these in our yard.
 
"Now sit down at the table and finish your math right now!" Okay, maybe that doesn't happen too often. It's more like, "Fine go play. I wanted to beat this level on Candy Crush anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment